Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a non-invasive therapy that uses low voltage electrical current to provide pain relief. It focuses on sensory nerve endings that control pain caused by spasms and injury. A TENS machine is a small, battery-operated device that has leads connected to electrodes. The sticky pads are placed onto the surface of the skin, near nerves or trigger points, to deliver electrical impulses. Pulses can be adjusted for intensity, duration, frequency, and type (burst or continuous). Your doctor or physical therapist can determine and adjust the machine’s settings, depending on what your condition needs.
There are two theories explaining how TENS works. It is believed that the electric current from TENS can stimulate nerve cells that block pain signal transmission. It can also stimulate the brain to raise the level of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals, to block the perception of pain. TENS therapy has been used in the management of both acute and chronic pain. It may be able to help reduce pain and muscle spasms in a wide range of conditions such as arthritis, sports injuries, period pain, low back pain, and more. It is usually a recommended treatment for fibromyalgia, a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain.
Here are other reasons why you should consult a licensed physiotherapist in Dubai and consider TENS therapy for your condition:
- Complementary – TENS can be used as an effective complementary therapy to diverse kinds of intensive treatments. In a 2015 study on women suffering from pelvic pain related to endometriosis, it was found that TENS demonstrated effectiveness as a complementary treatment of pelvic pain and deep dyspareunia. It helped in improving the quality of life in women with deep endometriosis.
- Relieve knots – A TENS machine can help relax your overworked muscles, particularly those that developed into knots. Muscle knots or tightness can be painful and sometimes debilitating. TENS can loosen these knots by relieving pain, reducing the tightness and improving range of motion. It becomes more effective when used in conjunction with a stretching routine.
- Speed recovery – Pain can easily lead to fear. If a person undergoing rehabilitation develops this fear, it can restrict their movement and activity. TENS therapy can make the rehabilitation phase pain-free, so the patient can perform any task without any unwarranted fear. They can use their complete level of strength without having to worry so they can return to their normal levels of activity way faster.
- No side effects – Using TENS to relieve pain is a non-invasive technique, starting with temporary to long-lasting relief. The electrical stimulation does not intrude in any body part and cause harm of any sort. It only distracts pain centers and changes your perception of pain. From leg to back pain, you can rely on TENS therapy to derive relief naturally, without any side-effects.
- Less fatigue and tiredness – There are now multifunctional TENS units that also serve as natural massagers. It has different intensity levels depending on how you want to attend to your muscles internally. It can be used to stimulate muscles and nerves thus, reduce fatigue levels drastically. The impulses also aid in the release of endorphins to minimize stress and make you feel more relaxed.
From pain management to nerve retraining, TENS can help individuals to not only bear the pain but also get on the path to wellness. If you want to know how TENS therapy can benefit your condition, consult with a Dubai physiotherapy center today. Scandinavian Physiotherapy Center DMCC offers TENS therapy or pain relief, tissue healing, better muscle control, improved muscle activation, and more! Contact +971 4 551 6126 to book your appointment.