The lymphatic system plays a key role in maintaining your health by cleaning and nourishing your cells. A network of delicate lymphatic vessels found just under your skin, drain waste from around cells and transport it back into the bloodstream via the lymph nodes. If the system gets blocked and stops operating at optimal function, things can become toxic and impair your immune system. You will start to feel achy, puffy, exhausted, and sick. Lymphatic drainage massage is the best way to unclog those vessels.
Unlike a regular massage that applies deep pressure onto the muscles, lymphatic drainage massage is very gentle. A therapist uses very light pressure since the lymphatic system is just close to the surface of the skin. Specific techniques are performed to facilitate the movement of fluid towards the lymph nodes from other areas of the body. Manual lymphatic drainage includes more than just the affected area. It is performed starting from the central part of the body moving towards the extremities.
Here are some of the benefits of getting a lymphatic drainage massage:
- Boost immunity – By helping increase lymphatic circulation, the function of the immune system is improved. This promotes a more efficient transport of white blood cells and antibodies that reduce inflammation and fight off infection.
- Promote healing – Tissues are usually swollen after an injury or surgery. This gentle manual therapy treatment will help in draining the tissues, reducing inflammation, and speeding up recovery. It can also be used in scar rehabilitation and reducing pain.
- Skin care – Lymphatic drainage massage is commonly applied before and after a cosmetic surgery to improve the texture of the skin by reducing swelling, puffiness, and blotches. It helps lessen the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and scars in facial tissue.
- Headache relief – Most headaches, such as sinusitis, are associated with congestion that responds well to lymphatic drainage. An experienced physical therapist can use this technique to decongest the affected tissues to reduce discomfort and pain.
- Detoxification – We are exposed to thousands of toxins daily from the processed foods we eat to the products we use. Expedite your body’s natural way of filtering and eliminating these toxins through lymphatic drainage massage.
Lymphatic drainage massage is a therapy recommended for everyone. It should be normalized and included in your self-care plan, just like proper diet and regular exercise. Aside from lymphedema relief, it also works wonders in alleviating a wide range of health symptoms. To learn more about lymphatic drainage massage and how it can help your condition, talk to the experts at Scandinavian Physiotherapy Center. They are offering manual lymphatic drainage for swelling management, surgery recovery, scar tissue reduction, detoxification, and more! Book an appointment today at +971 4 551 6126.