What is it?
A treatment technique utilised by physiotherapists whereby an acupuncture needle is inserted into a muscle. The aim is to deactivate painful or problematic myofascial trigger points – which are hyperirritable spots (commonly known as “knots”) within a muscle.
These trigger points can often be the source of, or a contributing factor to, your pain.
These trigger points can also be alleviated without the use of a needle but by applying direct pressure to the area until pain reduces.
What can I expect?
– Relatively painless insertion of one or more acupuncture needles into a muscle
– Stimulation of a twitch response within that muscle
– Temporary reproduction of your pain or other sensations
– Some muscle ache/heaviness for 24hours after treatment
– Pain relief
– Increased range of movement/flexibility of that muscle or body part
– Restoration of muscle activation & strength